mustering over 2010

Monday, November 1, 2010

Sunday May 19th:

Sunday up here does not seem like Sunday somehow. For one thing all sport is held on Sunday and nobody seems particularly keen about going to church. The Methodist Church has Sunday School in the morning and a service at night. C of E also have a service at night and Communion in the morning about 8 o’clock and the Presbyterian Church is also going to start and it seems as if the denominational spirit is going to be emphasized which in my opinion will do harm to the church work here. I did nothing all day but the usual and did not get dressed for Sunday until nearly 6 pm. Went to church at 7.30, about 40 there I suppose. After church had a yarn, home here, supper and went to bed.

Monday May 20th 1929

(This date pulled me up short as I continued to type the diary entries, because I had been under the impression it was 1928. Went back and checked and now realised that my fathers ‘scrawl’ had confused me but I can now see that the original entry is indeed 1929.)

Did nothing all day but read, sleep and eat. A great life no doubt. Weather rather warm with cool nights. Have been trying to do a bit of study in my spare time but found I had not much spare time for this purpose.

Tuesday May 21st 1929:

Another lazy day similar to yesterday, with a slight variation in the afternoon through a run up to the hospital. Took some papers up and had a yarn to some of the chaps. In spite of all their various ailments all of them quite cheerful and bright. Rather a busy time at present in the hospital with niggers, there being three gins and three ‘jackies’ in.

( ‘Jackies’…………………..)

Wednesday May 22nd:

Started work today? Took my bus down to the garage and sat and watched the mechanic finding something to keep him in a job. It was rather tiring though and I discovered I was not as well and strong as I had imagined. Had a little recreation at night by going to the pictures and sitting in a comfortable deck chair and nearly going to sleep. Saw the picture ‘Wings’. All the picture theatres out this way, I am told, have the big deck chair style for seating which is very nice, although has a tendency to induce slumber. All came home, had supper and went to bed.

Thursday May 23rd :

Had another day at the garage working as hithertofore stated. Was able to pick up a few little pieces of knowledge which will perhaps prove useful at some later date. Rev Menear is having a Church Fair on the morrow and has asked me to assist by taking charge of the fish pond, so after tea tonight was busy until 11 pm sorting and arranging the 3d and 6d articles. Nerves rather jumpy when all was finished but supper saved me.

( 3d is threepence, about 2c. 6d is sixpence, about 5c.)

Friday May 24th: Empire Day.

Did nothing much all the morning although down at the garage for a while. After lunch went to the hall and rigged up with the help of another chap, the fish pond. Fair was opened at 4 pm by the Chairman of the Shire. Very few there in the afternoon although more at night. Not the excitement or keenness noticeable at the fair that is generally evident in fairs down south. Weather was cool for up here and that tones folk up here down and takes the kick out of them. In the afternoon it was 90o for all that. Stalls were nicely decorated, especially the fish pond.

There were only the Plain and Fancy Cake, Sweets, Softdrinks and icecream stalls and a stall for men. No fruit and vegetable stall as that is impossible here. They took about 75 pound which was very good I suppose considering everything. Two boys ran the fish pond at night and I only supervised. Could not myself create much of an interest. Came home and had a lie down for a while, and had a sleep in a car outside the hall. Took a few old ladies homein the Menear’s car when all was over then home to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment