mustering over 2010

Friday, November 19, 2010

Moving on.

Tuesday June 4th: 1929

Back to the garage and this time the bus is in for a good overhaul and not before she needs it. I poke about to see if I can pick up any hints which my later prove useful. The weather up here at present is really hot and of an evening voices come from all directions where people are out on their verandahs keeping cool. Went out for while myself this evening, I am not saying where.

Wednesday June 5th:

Down at the garage again and in the afternoon started to clean the bus. It wanted some cleaning too, and goodness knows if it had ever had a clean up before. Had the hose and Bon Ami on the job and got rid of the surplus. Did a bit of writing at night. Still rather warm.

Thursday June 6th: 1929

Put the finishing touches today with plenty of elbow grease etc to the car and I believe it does look somewhat cleaner. Mechanic finished his job on it too and she is going very well. Gave her a try out on a quart of petrol and she is doing now about 18 to 20 miles to the gallon. At night I went across to the Presbyterian Church to the official opening of the wireless station, in connection with the A.I.M. It is only a weak station but has sufficient power to keep in touch with the stations out west who are to be supplied with a transmitting code signal in case they may need the aerial doctor. If the venture proves a success it will be a great benefit to those in the great open spaces who are not able to get in touch with civilization through lack of telephone and telegraph.

Friday June 7th:

Spent most of today a home heredoing a few odd jobs about the place, there being a fair amount of broken furniture needing attention.

(My father in earlier years had completed some carpentry training.)

Late in he afternoon hopped in the car and went up to the hospital, took some books up for the chaps to read. A farewell visit as I will not be going up again before leaving for Camooweal next week. I have just been reading a letter that I received when in hospiotal from my sister Olive, hence the reason for this type of writing. I did not dothe shops o Friday night as there are no late nights in this state.

( This diary entry was in small neater handwriting than previously!)

Saturday June 8th:

Another day at home on the odd jobs. Not a bad proposition though as one gets morning and afternoon tea while thus engaged. An over-ripe day on account of the heavy wind and the dust which it carries along. This I suppose though is one of the trials of the westerner which will have to get used to. After tea tonight the whole family though we would go for a spin so I acted as chaffeur (this spelling does not look right but the dictionary is in the other room) and after calling at a shop for cigarettes, for the Moores, went out the road a few miles and home again. Had a read for a while and retired.

Sunday June 9th:

Another windy, dusty day and I was nearly blown out of bed this morning, sleeping as I do on the verandah. Thought I might have had a lie-in too but it was n ot comfortable enough out there. Sorted out all my correspondence this morning and had a hot bath through the agency

of what I discarded. Was invited to tea this afternoon and prior to tea went out for a spin in a new Ford. Was very good and went to Church and afterwards went back to Young’s for a while then home to bed.

Monday June 10th:

Finished the odd jobs today, as many as I am doing, although there are quite a number still waiting to be done. It would not be fair to take all the odd jobs from the head of the house. Went for a run in brother Menears’ car after tea, he being out of town.

Tuesday June 11th:

I have jumped a day. The outcome of writing up your diary a few days after events. Did not do much this day as was feeling a bit dopey. Shouted the Moores’family to the pictures at night, a farewell treat, for them perhaps, no more for me, not with the children at any rate. The little chap kept up a continuous fire of questions in a very audible voice, some of them extremely awkward. Then the baby awoke and both kids cried together, a beautiful duet. Still we all survived and eventually arrived home safely.

Tuesday June 12th:

Birthday greetings to Murray. (my father’s younger brother who was later to lose his life during WW2 over the Middle East)

Getting ready for thr road. A busy day. MAfter social ntook all the old dears home by car and retired at 12.20 am. aking final ourchases, packing and loading up. Kept going at it all day. A social in the church at night. Was there for a while but had to go and say a few fond farewells and returned to the social later at supper time. After social took all the old dears home by car and retired at 12.20 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment