mustering over 2010

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Saturday May 25th:

Did quite a lot of work? this morning as I sat in the bus most of the time, while the remains from the fair were being returned to the various owners. Occasionally I gave a hand. The case of books which were sent from Tassie arrived at last. I went to the station and got them. Did nothing in the afternoon but loaf around and sleep.

Sunday May 26th:

Was quite good this morning, rather strange for me, but arose at 8.45 am and went to a Communion service in our church at 9 am. Did not have breakfast either until I came back. Was struck again today with the strangeness of Sabbath observance here as compared with down south. The ‘white’ shops are closed here but the ‘chow’s ‘ shops are not and everything can be procured at them. People up here too, even good Church folk, think nothing of going and getting what they want on Sunday. Men work on Sunday at jobs they are doing if they feel inclined. The electrician is putting the light in here and he came this afternoon and put in a couple of hours work here. This morning Moores and self went in the car to a place about a mile away to procure eggs, which by the way are 3/6 a dozen, but were unsuccessful. On the way called at a Chow’s shop and procured several articles, also at another place, good Methodists, where they showed us over their garden and where we procured a little fruit. Had to pass through Chinatown, where the gambling dens and houses of ill fame are situated. In the same locality are a few houses belonging to Afghans and I also saw their Moslem temple. A very small building, something like a Church, with just near a place to bath. At sunset every evening they go, bath and change into all white, leave their shoes outside the mosque and go in to their prayers. Took the service tonight at the Church here, a nice little crowd out, somewhere near 40. Was quite out of my stride as it is exactly a month since I took the last service. One young lady remarked to Mr Menear afterwards that she thought Mr Kettle would be quiet but when she heard him start to beef out his sermon, she sat up and took notice.

(Always believed I inherited my loud voice from my father! This confirms it)

After service Menear and I went across to Youngs, had supper and home to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment