mustering over 2010

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Flu epidemic.

Friday July 7th 1933:

Back to Wilsons with the car today and fixed it up alright this time. It took quite some time however to do it all. Did one ot two other jobs as well.

Saturday July 8th 1933:

A very cold morning but before breakfast went out and got a load of wood. The Astrea arrived this morning so went up and had a look at it. Looks as if it would be alright to ride in it. First Imperial Airways plane to land in Australia. Four engined Armstrong Whitworth AW15 Atlantis, G-ABTL. Took Andy down the side curtains of the car to be mended. Finalized our M.I.M effort tonight and 30 pounds was the result. A splendid result.

Sunday July 9th 1933:

Another cold day and attendances at both S.S and Church rather poor as the result. Had several callers this afternoon who all stayed to afternoon tea.

Monday July 10th 1933:

Got ready this morning to go to Mt Isa and got G Whitely from the hospital and before I left got another passenger in J.Darcy who came in last night from Anthony’s with a bad shoulder, the result of a fall. Has to go in for X-Ray. Got to Yelvertoft and stayed awhile. 20 miles from Isa had a puncture which delayed us awhile so did mot reach Isa until 8 pm. Went to Morcoms and had steak and eggs and then left John and George at Smiths. Pulled in to the ranch then and was soon in bed. Too tired to bother going and looking for the Colonel then.

Monday July 17th 1933:

It has been a full week since I was last able to write up my diary and much traveling has been done in taking Colonel over as much of my area as I could in the limited time at my disposal.

( A representative of Methodist Inland Mission from Melbourne or Sydney.)

It is very foolish however for him to come out here not prepared to spend more time amongst the folk. It creates a bad impression. The car caused me a fair amount of worry as she possessed to my knowledge a few weak spots but she let me down with a weak spot I knew nothing about. I had trouble with the rear wheel coming from Isa on Wednesday after all the work I did on it on Tuesday which delayed me a bit and covered me in grease but after that the car went well until Riversleigh on Saturday when returning from Bourketown, the pinion went and there we had to leave the car.

Decided it was better to accommodate the Colonel at the hotel so did so when we got here Wednesday night. That night I attended my last hospital committee meeting. We had a good run through to Bourketown arriving there on Friday afternoon, having stayed with Eric Thornton at Gregory on Thursday night. Could only stay a few minutes with all the folk along the way. Stayed with the Serg in Bourketown and had a service there on Friday night. Had the Colonel early on the road on Saturday morning as we were up at 3.45 and left at 4.50. Were going well too when misfortune met us at Riversleigh. Harry Foster proved a friend indeed, by driving the Colonel and myself into town after tea, where we arrived at 3 am Sunday morning. The Colonel had the day to rest then while of course coming to S.S and service at night, giving the addresses. I tried to get a spare pinion on town but was unsuccessful so Harry went back to Riversleigh. This morning I busied myself with the result that I got the loan of the Rocklands Dodge and soon now am starting west with Colonel and expect to meet Griffiths at about Rocky. Colonel wired him this morning.

Friday July 21st 1933:

Well am back home again after being across nearly to the O.T line ( Overland Telegraph )

70 miles past Rocky where we met Griffiths at midday on Wednesday and who then took Colonel on. Had wonderful travelling all the way out and back with only a bit of carburettor trouble as I neared home again. We stayed at Avon on Monday night, Rocky on Tuesday night, the same on Wednesday night for me. The Colonel stood up to the traveling very well. Came back into town last night and found Ivy very sick iin hospital although better than she was. Broke the hospital rules and stayed there last night util 10 pm. Saw her again this morning, afternoon and tonight and she is on the mend now.

Wednesday July 26th 1933:

Have been waiting for an opportunity to get down to Riversleigh with the spare parts and fix the car and now am going on Friday with J.Synnott. Have had a quiet few days in town with the afternoons and evenings spent at the hospital. Ivy will be out tomorrow however. An epidemic of ‘flu’ has claimed many local victims of both old and young, which made a marked difference at the attendance at S.S and service on Sunday. Have had no word from the Colonel but suppose he got through to Mandangi alright. He is due there tonight.

Thursday July 27th 1933:

Was very busy this morning writing out my annual report for the hospital meeting on Friday night. Ivy came out of hopital after lunch as well as other patients. Just on dark Rev Griffiths and his wife arrived from Mandangi where they handed over the Colonel to Longthorne. They are returning to Alice via the territory road, too rough to go back the way they came. Have fixed them up a bed in my front room and they will be staying here tomorrow.

Friday July 28th 1933:

Am waiting for Jim Synnott to call for me. He is later than he intended, after tea now. Helped riffiths with his car all the morning. Ivy came up for dinner. Mrs has been doing some washing.

Thursday August 3rd 1933:

Back in town again with the old bus. The job was quite a big one but I finished on Tuesday night and came home on Wednesday. Willie Miller came in with me from Undilla. I will have to attend to the steering on the car however before I can take on another long trip.

Friday August 4th 1933:

Spent this morning writing and getting done the long delayed letter for home. Then this afternoon had to get the hall ready for my pictures at night. Not many out on account of the ‘flu’ still prevailing.

Saturday August 5th 1933:

Had more mail to attend to this morning and then went and did some work on the cricket pitch and got it ready for a game. Had quite a few out in the afternoon and all enjoyed it.

Sunday August 6th 1933:

Flu still has many in its grip so our attendance today not too good. A few of us went down to the bore this afternoon and left Billy Pedwell there for the holidays.

Monday August 7th 1933:

Quite an influx of men into the town today on account of the horses coming oput of the paddock. I had a quiet day at home with the pen. I detest having to sit inside and write too.

No comments:

Post a Comment