mustering over 2010

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Frustrations of outback life.

Monday July 1: 1929

Today I have been under, over and through, inside and outside of my bus, tightening, greasing, oiling, and bluffing myself that I am an expert mechanic. She is now in good running order but the lights won’t light and the tooter won’t toot so that’s a job in the morning. I am a good mechanic though as regards to getting grease all over myself. Tonight I have been getting into going order the Brange? Projector and endeavouring to understand its mechanism and at 11 p m was able to throw a picture on the screen. Had just got into bed just after 11.30 when a car pulled up and people came ,looking for the Dr who was not home. One gets an idea of some of the disagvantages of the station folk in the territory at times like this, who have no means of getting in touch with others. A little girls wandered into the wash house where a gin had left some caustic soda and took a handful and put it in her mouth. Of course she was badly burned and having no means of calling in a Dr they had to get in the car and rush in, 160 miles to the Dr here in Camooweal. The little girl, daughter of the station manager is not quite as bad as they feared. She did not swallow much, if any, and was made sick as soon as it happened, but she has a bad mouth and face. Mrs Johnson stayed at the hospital. Mr Johnson stayed the night here with us.

Tuesday July 2nd:

A rotten day as far as I am concerned. I intended to leave for Burketown this afternoon but the bus taking longer to fix than I expected. I am still here and will not get away until the morning. A wire from the battery was burnt right out and I could not find it, so in the end had to get a young chap to assist me. Then I could not find the key of the bus and spent an hour looking for it and all the time it was in my pocket. To calm me down a bit I went and ‘afternoontead’ at the hospital with several others. Have been writing tonight anf loading up for the journey tomorrow. Went in next door at 11 pm and had supper of fried macaroni and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment