mustering over 2010

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Monday April 29th: 1929

A very monotonous day.

Rather warm and nothing to see but the same rolling plains, occasionally a few trees, now and then some sheep or horses and every hour or two pulling up at a siding. Always a fair crowd at the sidings but no sign anywhere of where they came from. The train journey was frightfully slow , for what reason I know not, as there was no grade at all. Eventually at 9 pm arrived Cloncurry. Rather a difference in size to the other stations along the line and quite a crowd present to see the Great Mail roar in to the termination of its long journey. Rev Menear being out of town, noone knew of my arrival, so again was left to myself. Left most of luggage at the station and took a car to Parsonage where admitted into the presence of Mr and Mrs Moores and family who are living here. Rather tired and not feeling too good so soon retired.

Tuesday April 30th:

Woke up feeling very much out of sorts. Tried to walk it off in the morning and by poking around Moore’s garage but unsuccessful. Had a lie down and no dinner and later went on and saw Dr. Examined me and confirmed my suspicions that I was suffering from appendicitis. Had a talk with DR and decided on operation right away. Came back here in car, got a few thinhs together and went up to the hospital and was admitted as a suffering patient. From 4.30 pm on April 30th until 4.30 pm 0n May 14th was a patient in the Cloncurry District Hospital being operated on for appendicitis and recovering from same. The butcher was a relieving Dr by the name of Goode and he did a Goode job. The hospital itself in its structure and appliances is not by any means perfect but the attention received from Dr and nurses left nothing to be desired. Felt a bit off colour the first couple of days but after that was alright. Had one setback while in hospital, through contracting something like scarlet fever but that passed off in two or three days. At first was in one of the wards with half a dozen others but when the fever cane on was put out on the verandah by myself which I liked much better. Rev Menear and Mr and Mrs Moores were very good to me and hardly an evening passed but that they were up to see me. The diet for practically the whole of the fortnight was water, hence I did not put on any condition. Some very rough chaps in the ward where I was and at times the language would make a bullocky blush. It was very nice though to be waited on by nice nurses, washed etc by them and I nearly lost my heart but going out when I did saved me. Received quite a lot of letters and telegrams from Victoria and Tasmania which were much appreciated and helped to make the sojourn in hospital less wearisome. Was not too keen on leaving hospital when the time came as I knew all there, and practically nobody down here, but as Dr Goode was leaving I thought I would leave also. Rev Menear called for me and brought me down here to Moores where I am to be convalescent until the end of the month. Was very shaky on my legs when I first got out of bed but soon got my balance.

Wednesday May 15th:

Am taking things quietly for a while. Had breakfast in bed and a lie down all the morning. In the afternoon went down to the P.O with Menear and sent some telegrams and then called around at a Mrs Hensley’s. Her married daughter with her husband both from South Africa were there and we had quite a decent talk. Mrs Hensley is rather a lively old dame and during general conversation I found myself congratulating myself I did not die in the Cloncurry hospital as they spoke of men dying there and being forgotten until the nasal organs of the staff brought back their remembrance, also of coffins with sliding bottoms which was also rather gruesome. After tea we went and called on people by the name of Young, where also was the Rev Scott of the A.I.M and after talking and supper came home to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment