mustering over 2010

Monday, April 30, 2012

At everyone's beck and call?


Thursday Feb 15th  1934:
After having washed the breakfast things this morning I put on my copper of washing. The copper being a 4 gallon petrol drum with the top cut out of it. Had old Fred Murray call in to  be driven home to his camp. When I went down for the car found that Bill Kirk had got in before me, so after waiting awhile and he did not return I hopped into Mr Dalling’s which was outside the store and went up and took Keith to the hospital in it. Brought it straight back as I thought Mr Dalling may be wanting it. Billy brought Synnotts home soon after so I took that one then and took Fred to his camp and Keith home. Finished my washing after lunch and then got cleaned and went to the hall to fix up for the pictures. Went and had a haircut before starting at the hall. Had two ‘smokos’, one at Pedwells and one at Cronins. Fixed the hall and then had tea. Went up and got Synnotts car and called for Keith and took him to the hall. A big crowd turned up at night and seemed to enjoy the program. Drove Keith home afterwards as well as Mrs Watson, Marj and Frank. Called in and yarned until midnight at Mosterts. Weather is very hot and the sky is overcats all day with heavy cloud but except for light sprinkles no rain.
I have been very lax with my diary as it is now the end of March but I am not attempting to write all the doings up in detail. The main happening of all that time has been the abduction of Ellen Hooker by Jack Logan when they cleared out in J.Connolly’s car. The search and chase by planes and car occupied just about a fortnight of time, when they were caught at Rifle Creek waiting for a train. I had two trips into Mt isa then to bring home Ellen and take her back again for the court case. Also a court case in Camooweal when I was Council for the defence, when the Crown decided to send Ellen to a state institution. Logan is now out on bail awaiting his trial in Cloncurry on May 21st. I had another trip into Mt Isa taking in Mrs Wilson to see Mavis. Had a couple of trips to both selections. A picnic to the selection at Nowranie on St Pat’s Day. I had a weekend at Avon while Rev Richardson was in town when I had a very happy time and had a nice crowd at the service there. The Anzac Day committee is busy now with the preparation  of its program as well as the committee formed to entertain the Governor when he arrives.
Sunday April 1st  1934:
This day finds me at Planet Downs at which place I arrived on Friday night. I left Camooweal on Thursday afternoon after delaying my departure for two days waiting on a lorry from Mt Isa which had broken down and which was bringing out a box of fruit that I was to bring down here. When I left the lorry had not arrived so of course I did not bring the fruit. Thursday night I stayed at Undilla and left there in company with the mailman on Friday.
( Good Friday). Cecil’s car was not running too well and so we had  numerous stops before we eventually discovered the cause of the trouble was a grasshopper which had worked its way into the carburettor. We stopped for awhile at THorntonia and at the Lily boiled the billy reaching the Gregory just before sundown. I went across to the station for awhile and then picked up Fred Muller and Len Smith at the hotel and came on here, arriving just after dark. We met Harry Foster along the track today and had a yarn to him. He had been to Gregory and was on his way home. Old Dick Garrett was at his letter box too and is very feeble now and does not seem now too long for this world. Yesterday was a busy day here, the early part being taken up with decorating the two homes for the wedding which took place in the front garden of the old people’s home at 5pm. The wedding went off very nicely and the bride and her attendants all looked very charming. The reception was held on the verandah of Ted’s home after which dancing was indulged in. At about 10.30pm I was given the job of driving the newly wedded couple back to the Gregory where they will in future reside at the hotel. I got back here awhile after midnight. This morning although Sunday was a busy time in cleaning up after all the visitors  had departed. We, of the permanent staff, went across to the river this afternoon and had a very enjoyable time in the river, it was lovely. After tea tonight we all gathered at the old folk’s home and we the aid of the gramaphone and hymn books had a good sing and finished with a reading and prayer.
Monday April 2nd  1934:
Finlays left for home this morning and have a hundred mile run in front of them. I got all packed up and ready for the road too but instead of leaving helped the boys in fixing a sewing machine which kept us going all the afternoon. Just before tea we all went dowm on the lorry the 5 miles to Donaldsons and I told them I would be showing pictures at Planet so afterv tea they came up when we all went to the movies out in the open and then played the gramaphone finishing up with beer? and cake.
Tuesday April 3rd  1934:
Left Planet after breakfast this morning and came on to Donaldsons. Splinter and old Parker were just gloing down to the shed to clean up a bit of shearing so I spent the morning with them and am now qualified to get a job in any shearing shed. Had lunch here and after leaving cards etc for the two boys went on and called in at Almoras, stayed here awhile and next stopped for a few minutes at Gordon Smiths and then just at sundown reached Brookdale. Pulled in and had tea after which showed the pictures and then retired.
Wednesday April 4th  1934:
After breakfast had a talk to the children and left the cards and books again. Called in at Clarkes and stayed for lunch and ten on  as far as old Bill Souters. Sgtopped and had a yarn to him and then came into Burketown, pulling in at the Police Station. Folk around here all seemed pleased tom see me and feel sure it was genuine. Mrs Hosiers birthday today so I dropped right into the pargty held at night at which a nice crowd gathered and all enjoyed themselves. Just as I arrived they were about to bottle beer here so I fell in for the job of corking it all. Went up after tea and had a game of tennis which was very nice.
Thursday April 5th  1934:
I spent a very lazy day today, doing practically nothing and enjoyed it too. Had a good read and a bit of a sleep and then went up and played tennis. After tea the Captain from the lighter came up and we argued on many subjects until it was time to go to bed.
Friday April 6th  1934:
Spent another very enjoyable lazy morning in reading. After lunch went up to the school and talked to the children and the called on a few folk and had some tennis. Several of the country folk arrived in town this aftgernoon. Spent the afternoon at home talking, sleeping and reading.
Saturday April 7th  1934:
Spent this morning in helping Jim cleaning up the engine of their car and other jobs about it. Did some writing. Paddy called after lunch and we went to tennis. A social evening was held in the hall at night in  aid of the hospital at which a big crowd gathered and which I presented myself at for awhile.
Sunday April 8th  1934:
A very hot day. Got the children together for Sunday School this morning and had a happy time. Had a lie off after lunch and then a few of us went out to the lake for a swim. A very nice gathering assembled in the hall for service at night after which it was home and bed.

Sunday April 9th  1934:
I decided that today would be an off day so after doing a bit of writing this morning I went down to the boat taking Miss McDonald with me and we had morning tea with the Captain. We then got into the rowing boat and went fishing for awhile but caught nothing. After lunch Mr Askin, Jim and I went down to the punt and fished for the remainder of the afternoon  but I was the only lucky one, landing two nice ones.
Tuesday April 10th  1934:
Mr and Mrs Hosier and Gladys having decided to do the Normanton Croydon trip with me also decided we should take the Vauxhall instead of my bus so this morning was spent in getting it ready. After lunch I went out to see the folk and make arrangements for the pictures and social at night. Returning home I found fresh arrangemnets made in which the ladies and Vauxhall do not figure but Mr Hosier and Jim and I go in the Ford. We all spent a very happy time at the hall at night with pictures first and games afterwards.
Wednesday April 11th  1934:
All up early this morning and rolled swags, loaded up the car and left  about 8am. Our first stop was 25 miles out at Armraynald station where we had morning tea. Peter is cooking here now. Mr Seamer was also here chasing the buffalo flies. We ent on and after traveling another 25 miles came to Wernadinga station  and there stayed  and had anoher morning tea and then stayed to lunch. I had to fix one of the back wheels here which was loose by packing the axle with a piece of petrol tin. From here on the rough road began and it was rough. 12 miles along a bit of carburettor trouble held us up for awhile and ten miles further we met Laurie Hanson in trouble with his car and put in an hour with him but could not do much. He got back into Burketown alright however. We went on and came up with the Inverleigh stock camp where we stopped and had smoko. Went on again and had a bit of kangaroo shooting in one place and made camp for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment