mustering over 2010

Monday, October 25, 2010

In the footsteps of my father.

This story will trace the travels of my father between 1928 and 1935 as gleaned from his hand written diaries. Unfortunately these diaries only came into the family's hands after my father's death in 1979. Since 1996 I have been fortunate to also visit parts of the same north Queensland country and it has been an exciting experience to share these travels and accompany my father in spirit , through the reading of his diaries.
Howard Henry Kettle was born in 1901 in Buchan, Victoria , where his father was the local policeman.
In 1928 Howard Kettle began a momentous journey to North Queensland as a patrol padre with the Methodist Inland Mission. This is his story.

Wednesday April 17th 1929: 5pm.

Left Melbourne on the Sydney Express after a very warm and somewhat sad family send-off, Was very brave myself although was really not as brave as outward appearances indicated. Had a full compartment, a smoker, one lady in it, but she did not smoke while traveling to Albury. A chap sitting on the other side of me though made up for it, as he smoked continuously a vile cheap brand of cigar. Altogether though had a good trip to Albury, where we trans-shipped into the sleeper and after having some supper on the station, retired. The war memorial in Albury as viewed from the station with its illumination was an impressive sight.

Thursday April 18th

Shared a sleeper with a Mr Lily from Sydney a very decent chap and had some decent talks with him. Got up at 8 o’clock and had the breakfast at I forget the name of the place. Arrived in Sydney well on time, eleven o’clock, and was met by Auntie Gert and Mercy. Would not have known Mercy had she been on her own. Cloaked all my luggage except small bag, and then did Sydney with Auntie Gert. We went up to the S.A.H.Q and met with the remainder of the Howard family that are in Sydney. Winsome and Olwin. Had a talk for a while, then had a shave and back to the station and booked my ticket or rather a sleeper through to Brisbane. After we had had dinner at the Sunshine Tea Rooms. Eva and the two nips arrived on the scene and then all of us went for a run on one of the ferries down to Manly. A nice trip and the harbour very nice but beauty equally as nice can be found in Tasmania. Sydney itself reminded me of a big rabbit warren or a maze with its narrow streets and all running in different directions. The number of girls and women smoking in the streets was very noticeable. After tea went into Sydney again with Auntie Gert, to a prayer meeting of the Methodist Men’s Federation. A very good meeting. Had to get up and say a word, after being introduced to the gathering and it was very brief. Spent the remainder of the evening at home.

Friday April 19th:

Olwin brought breakfast in to me in bed which was very nice, after which I arose and dressed. After writing a couple of letters, said goodbye to the family and went across to Campsie and found Keith Oliver from Tasmania and had a yarn to him. Went into Sydney then, had lunch and went for walk around the streets with Olwin. Winsome came to the train and saw me off toBrisbane at 3.30 pm. It was a very nice trip while daylight lasted and the scenery along the Hawksbury river especially good. Turned in rather early and read for a while and then slept.

Saturday April 20th:

Arriving at the border all had then to transfer to a Queensland train and the railway service here compared with down south is rotten. The trip throughout the day though was not bad. The country through which we passed as regards scenery was fair and in places good especially coming down from the hills after leaving Toowoomba and here the likeness to Tasmania was much in evidence. Several of the passengers on the train, including myself, got into conversation and although we were unknown to each other it made the journey much more pleasant. Just after crossing the border the grade was very steep, so much so that the engine refused to function and we had to wait until another train following caught up to us and gave us a push until we safely negotiated the climb. Apart from that the trip was uneventful. On arriving at Brisbane was met by the Rev Mills, secretary of Conference who passed me over into the hands of the Rev Frederick who took me by car to his home. Most of the family were out at a wedding at which The Rev F was officiating. They returned though not long after I got there and then I got some tea. The Rev and Mrs were off almost immediately to the breakfast but a Miss Clewes who works there looked after me. The Rev Frederick has connected with his home the H.M Training College similar to ‘Otira’ Kew. There are only about five students attending but it is yet in its infancy. The boys seem rather a decent lot. Miss Frederick, sister of the Rev, a returned missionary from India is also staying here. There are three children at home. The youngest a boy is about 16 I should say and is going to the University, a girl is next to him who teaches school I think and another boy who works at the bank. It was here that I received my first introduction to Queensland mosquitoes. Before retiring Miss Frederick (daughter) played the gramophone for a while and I listened then turned in.

Sunday April 21st:

Brisbane has given me a very moist reception as it has rained steadily all day and heavily too.

Rev F wanted me to take both his services today at the Valley Mission Church in Brisbane but I got out of that and ended up in the morning taking the first part of the service and in the evening taking the sermon and latter part. There were only about 24 out at morning service and about 70 tonight but the weather I suppose had a good deal to do with that. Rev F was taking a S.S Anniversary in the afternoon at Kingsholme so I went down and strange to say they used the same hymn suheet as we had at our S.S Anniversary at St Mary’s. The children sang very well too. Being ANZAC Sunday I gave a talk on those lines at the evening service tonight and took as the subject “The cost of life.” They have a choir at this church and gave an anthem at tonights service. After church on returning home we had supper and then retired.

Monday April 22nd:

Rain appears to have completely disappeared and the day is bright and warm. Went in the morning to the office of Rev Mills and arranged then to stay in Brisbane until Wednesday then go on to Townsville put a day in there and go to Charters Towers on Saturday and on Sunday night pick up the Cloncurry train there. After dinner bought my tickets and fixed up the luggage and then went out to Wynnum to Krummels. Travelled by bus and Ettie met me out there. After having a talk at home and some afternoon tea Mr Krummel had to go out and see some folk on business so I went with him. It was out a bit from Wynnum so we went in the jinker, rather slow, but had a look at the country. After we had had tea we looked at snaps, mine and theirs, until supper time when retired. I did not intend staying the night but they invited me and as there was no reason why I should not, I did. Used for the first time the mosquito netting suspended from the head of the bed. I was amused at first at the height the houses are built off the ground, 6 feet up and more, and underneath the folks garage their cars, rather a good idea. Plenty of steps to go up and down though. In Brisbane the folk do not seem tp be in a great hurry at all and like Sydney you can walk angleways or anyway across the streets. Max Hodgson and his bride spending their honeymoon in Qld and at present are out at Wynnum, but are to return south on Thursday. Lucky pair.

Wednesday April 24th:

Caught the 9 am train from Wynnum this morning and back into Brisbane. Called at Mills’ office and after a talk and a walk up the street went to Fredericks. Packed up, had lunch and Rev F brought me in to the train by car. Had only time to bundle into the train and she was off. The first time since leaving Melbourne that someone to see me off and am going completely among strangers. Up until now there has been somebody I have known at each place but that is done with. Queensland railways are now seen at their worst in my judgement. For 1st class traveling they are very poor and everything is so dusty and dirty. No decent place to hang my clothes either. A big crowd on this train too, a cosmopolitan lot. All shapes, sizes and conditions, and most of them appear to be going north after work. Cane-cutters and to the meat works I suppose. The weather is getting warmer up this way and all surplus clothing is discarded. The country, although for the most part uninteresting, is looking well, everything is green with a great growth. ……… homes are mostly to be seen along the line. The bunks on this train run the same way as the train, and in my opinion are not as comfortable as those that go across. Still I slept alright.

Thursday April 25th:

And still we journey farther north. A most uninteresting day. Rather warm and all one can do is to eat, sleep and read. Nothing of any consequence happening. At many stops we get out to stretch our legs and if it is meal time, we eat, until at 8 pm we turn in again.


No comments:

Post a Comment